The purpose of this article is to learn how to bring merchandise back into stock after it was already sold (i.e. finished goods sold to a distributor, then bought back into inventory) by using an A/R Credit Memo.
- Open an A/R Credit Memo: Sales - A/R > A/R Credit Memo.
- Enter or search for the Customer number you’re buying product back from.
- Click Copy From and select A/R Invoices.
- Select the applicable order from List of A/R Invoices window that pops-up (not shown below).
- After selecting the A/R Invoice, the Draw Document Wizard window will pop-up. Simply use the default exchange rate it auto-fills (“Current Exchange Rate”) unless you’re making a transaction in a different currency.
- Select Draw All Data if you want to include everything from the original invoice or select Customize if you’re completing a partial return.
- Double check to ensure what has been received back into inventory matches what’s populating on the Credit Memo.
- Note that the source documents are listed in Remarks.
- Click Add to complete the transaction.
If you don’t have a source A/R Invoice, you can complete a service based A/R Invoice with negative quantities as an alternative.
If you’re looking to credit a customer without bringing the items back into stock, take a look at Quick Start: How To Credit A Business Partner Without Bringing Inventory Back Into Stock